The following is a general maintenance procedure for the Galvanized Barrier Cable system. The procedure is basic in nature, is subject to change and does not cover any special conditions.
- (ANNUALLY) Inspect galvanized barrier cable for damage from vehicles and/or corrosive elements.
- (ANNUALLY) Clean cables with wet rag.
- (QUARTERLY) Inspect anchorage locations (and grout pockets, if applicable).
- (QUARTERLY) Test horizontal deflection at each cable at mid-point of cable run. Horizontal deflection should not exceed 18 in. (457 mm). Vertical deflection can be tested for loosening of cables.
- (QUARTERLY) Verify height and spacing requirements referenced in section 1.2.2 (of the PTI Specification for Barrier Cable Applications).
- “The system shall be a minimum of 42 in. (1065 mm) in height and be constructed such that a 4 in. (100 mm) diameter sphere shall not pass through any opening up to a height of 34 in. (864 mm). Above 34 in. (864 mm), an 8 in. (203) diameter sphere shall not pass through the openings.”
- (IF DAMAGED) Contact a qualified supplier of barrier cable for repair procedures and additional information.
A copy of the PTI Specification can be purchased online at the Post-Tensioning Institute website.
– Neel Khosa, Vice President
Copyright © 2012 by AMSYSCO, Inc. All rights reserved.