As described in a previous blog, unbonded post-tensioned concrete can reduce vertical construction elements. Simply put, the less material used means less building weight (dead load). The reduced weight can allow for smaller foundations and shear walls. This can minimize excavation requirements, the need for caissons and possibility of affecting the water table.
With a reduced building weight due to unbonded post-tensioned concrete, there is potential savings for the following:
- Concrete Footings/Foundations/Caissons
- Concrete Shear walls
- Retaining Walls
- Pumping of water for underground work
Operational Life-Cycle Savings
- The impact (erosion) of building weight will be less the on surrounding land.
- The cost of pumping of water to control sub-terrain flooding can be reduced.
- Improved Seismic behavior.
- Reduced deflection and vibration.
– Neel Khosa, AMSYSCO
Copyright © 2009 by AMSYSCO, Inc. All rights reserved.